Friday, November 10, 2006

no YOW

YOW officially starts in 20 minutes, and I am not there :-(

I had almost forgotten but at 5:30 PJ called to ask if I had a wireless mic he could borrow (which I do and he can). So between finishing supper and going to rescue a disabled car at the mall, I fit in running to the church to grab my mic, running to south Plymouth, to drop it off (and spending a few minutes saying hi to the team). Shawn is doing the music, and he is excellent (I kid that I hope not too excellent, but I kinda mean it too!). During a prep meeting, I gave a "for instance" to explain how I would pick an opening song - one that everybody would know, upbeat, sing-along-able. Recent animated movies seem to be good for providing songs for YOW - we've drawn from 2 Shrek movies in recent years - so I simply offered as a for instance "Life Is a Highway" remade by Rascal Flatts for the "Cars" movie. To my surprize, that is the song he chose to open with. Thanks Shawn - for in your own little way letting me be there in my own little way. Funny how some things become a part of you so easily. I LOVE YOW, the planning, spending the year listening for potential YOW songs on the radio, meeting with the team, performing, watching and helping the kids transform from reluctant skeptics to eager participants to sad-that-it's-over proud-to-be-Catholic teens - all in about 40 hours. They have more kids this year than in recent years, but I can never understand why it isn't sold out and demanding a second weekend like in the good old days --- it is just such a tremendous retreat experience (for the kids and leaders alike)

YYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

No comments: