Monday, February 19, 2007

no YOW (part 2)

I felt saddened by the unexpect news that the annual YOW retreat has been canceled. I don't know why it was unexpected because I have been speculating after the end of each YOW for the past three years that it may have been the last, and almost every program OYM used to run has been axed. Maybe it was because the announcement came to me through the grapevine and not from OYM (although certain people said they had been told). I was not the only one who showed surprise and dismay over this. And as I surveyed the room full of youth ministers, most of whom were current or former YOW team members, I couldn't help but realize - we could organize and run it independently with the present talent pool, EASILY.

Except for one hitch -- insurance liability.
We would need to be associated with and authorized by an organization with the right insurance rider.

It would be sad to think that the main strength of the what's left of office for youth ministry (and actually that's not even it's name anymore) isn't the ministry it's able to promote but instead is it's access to the Ardioscese insurance policy, or that this great program would die due to the lack of that access.

Where is an independent Boston area Catholic youth ministry association when you need one?

No comments: