Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Hello Corey (the original Corey)



So Corey (the one my son Corey is named after) moved away many years ago and is happily married and living in Monticello, Indiana. Long ago - before wives & kids - we played hockey & softball together, coached softball together, hiked together, hung out together - typical 20-something buddies. He was an usher at my wedding. At that time he was living in PA and we stopped to visit him on our way home from our honeymoon. Then he and Beth got married and moved to the midwest where she was from. They did come to visit once when Mary & Tim were very little, but I haven't seen him in about 20 years. Every couple of years we (I) would randomly call to say "hi" and we'd chat for half an hour - mostly about the good ol' days. Eventually I got hold of his email address and we would occasionally send a note - mostly notices about major events (Sue's parents deaths, Mary's wedding, etc...). The last couple of times we emailed, it ended up with about 10 responses back and forth. I told him it would be so much easier if he just signed up for IM. Lo and behold, the next day he emailed me to say he did. Ok - so I had to email him back to request his screen name - but now we can just chat. It's been a long time since we just chatted, but IM'ing is so great for that - you simply spot that the other person is "in the room" so to speak and if you have something to say - you do. So maybe it's sad that our first IM chat was still "do you ever hear from so-and-so" and "do you remember when...", but it's nice to think that now we can stay more current more easily. So many times he has talked about coming back to Ma. for a visit, and Sue and I were even ready to go visit him on our way to a rabbit convention - but for various reasons none of the trips ever panned out. He say's he wants to come here next summer, and for some reason I feel like it will actually happen this time. Maybe cause with IM, we can stay on top of the plan better (i.e. I can harrass him daily)! So day 2 of IMing with Corey - I've probably created a monster but what the heck, Corey is kinda like the big blue monster in Monsters, Inc - just big and friendly and well meaning - a sort of lovable gentle giant. Always has been, and after all this time and distance - it's nice to get a friend back considering that too often in life they just leave. So even if we only ever talk about the old softball team or old friends and good times, who cares - I often think about them, so why not have someone to talk to about them who lived through them with you. Welcome back, my old friend.

1 comment:

corey said...

Sitting,watching snow come down, it's been one week since a friend has pass away...As i sit and think about life and short it can be...i think about the journal my life has taken me..the different ppl, cultures, and different ways of life...As u grow up in life a person crosses
your path You never really forget this person and has times goes you become friends..and you develop and created alot of mememories together..but during life..different path are taken and along the way you forgot about your roots..but in my life i was blessed on having a friend that would not let me forget about it...the crazy things we did...mountain climbing..snowshoeing,trail hiking...guitar playing,friesbee playing in the street next to charlie's, eating clams, scallops..walling the walls at bryant rock, 4 wheeling at duxury beach....as i get deeper into my jouney of life times like that are lock away for ever and forever hard to be replaced..just like true friends..i want to thank you for being my friend and someday we can get together with our family and creat some new ones.