Thursday, April 24, 2008

End of an Era

The family daily schedule has been such that thinking I might have time to coach is a conclusion that no intelligent person would ever arrive at. Last year I knew it, but ended up being an assistant coach to Nikki's softball team anyway, and it was fairly disasterous (logistically and emotionally) and unfullfilling. This year we originally thought things might be different, but after filling in the calendar with Nikki's softball, Joe's baseball, Jamies 4-H, Yon's swimming and basketball, Tim's bingo setup, Sue's work schedules - what should have been obvious became undeniable. So no coaching this year for me and there is a major flaw with the "maybe next year" theory - although she can play town ball for two more years, Nikki is a very good pitcher so it can be presumed that next year (and each year afterward) she will be playing ball for the school instead of the town league. Joe has a few more years of Little League left, but the politics involved pretty much remove any opportunity for me to coach his team. There is nobody left to coach after them. So - although it's not absolutely 100% for certain, I am in all likelyhood in coaching retirement now. For 30 years and four sports and thousands of players, being a coach has been an important part of my identity and is largely responsible for who I am.

And now I'm not.

2 comments:

HerMajesty00 said...

Well...DSS does deliver still....and there will EVENTUALLY be grand kids to coach......

The Ohio 5 said...

I certainly learned alot from you when you were coaching me. I still can't pitch a curveball or a knuckleball with a softball but I must admit it, no one has ever asked me to!!
Maybe my girls will need a personal coach in a few years in order to win that 4 year scholarship to college!!