Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thank You Mr Bush

Don't get me wrong. I'm very glad that Mr Bush is giving us some extra money back - but if he thinks that the average American is going to splurge on frivolous toys instead of paying bills or filling their gas tank, he's stupider than we think (and, as if every taxpayer buying $300 worth of stuff is going to fix everything - he's a total Dupe who thinks WE are total Dupes).

Sue & I are actually lucky in that we are getting about as much as anyone possibly can. I could wipe out most (but not all) of our overdue bills with it - or I could get some car work done and pay for Julies driver Ed - or I could partially pay for any one of a number of house maintenance projects long overdue. In the end, lots of these items will be left as they have been for years - still pending. We will pay off some debt, we will pump the septic tank, we will help Julie, we will fill three vehicles gas tanks, and I hope stop the leaky bathtub. We will still need a new roof, windows, doors, tires, and ball joints. Honestly, some of it will pay for our campsite and gas to get to North Conway for the 4th of July, and some of it has been put towards our fall St Lucia trip - but honestly, we were going struggle but still do those even without the "Stimulus Refund" so you can't actually say that it helped the economy. It will help us accomplish these things a bit easier though. My to-do list will be slightly shorter for a month or two (maybe). The economy won't be the least bit better, gas prices (all prices) will still be climbing much faster than my paycheck, but I will still say "Thank you Mr. President for your misguided, misinformed and foolishly optimistic game-plan. I really wish I could buy a new guitar or laptop or big-screen TV - but I'm grateful for the help in avoiding bankruptcy or forecloser or credit card debt or repossession or any of the many financial disasters that so many Americans are facing". Now if only somebody could think of a plan to fix the economy so we can get a raise so we can buy cool stuff.

2 comments:

HerMajesty00 said...

Er....and it is already mostly spent.

The Ohio 5 said...

Hey, I got a raise in my check today-a whole 25 cents!! What will I do with my new found wealth?