Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Saco River Rope Swing

One of the favorite activities when we camp in NH is the rope swing across from the campground beach on the Saco. At about 100 feet wide, the river is knee-to-waist deep for about 80 feet and then drops off to over my head right up to the far shore. Note that Jamie (in the water) is clinging to the river bank roots but not actually touching bottom. Corey (superwhite - if he was friendlier we could call him Casper!) swings out a good distance, but....

at one point I was out there helping Nikki as a group of 20-something kayakers were also giving it a go.
After all the boyfriends had finished showing off to their girlfriends I heard one of the young ladies say "but the old guy was the best at it". I will gladly dismiss the "old guy" crack because I get to say "I've STILL GOT IT! Take THAT you young hotshots!"

and just for the record - Sue also took a swing off of it and did so much more gracefully than the 20ish girl who went ahead of her.

As Paul Simon sang "Still crazy after all these years"

((more pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/don.sueblauss/Camping08 )

1 comment:

The Ohio 5 said...

Now Donnie, why would a twenty something think you were an old guy? Remember, us Hanlon girls like our guys older I mean, more mature. Don't forget, the other Don is already 60!