Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Please vote FOR somebody

My friend CRM sent a multi-forwarded "letter" explaining to us why we should not vote for Obama. I found this rather funny coming from (not originating from) a guy who hasn't voted in 30 years. If he DID vote, I assume it would be against Obama

Here's what I believe. there is NOBODY who goes into that job truly prepared for it. There is no way for one person to get all the experience needed ahead of time. It is an "On The Job Training" position. Therefore, like most creative jobs - you need to pick somebody who has a vision of what the future should look like, enthusiasm to pursue it, and an ability to sway people to cooperate with him/her to get there.
(as a comparison, I look at my Youth Ministry friends. All want good programs, but some actually envision what it looks like before they take the position. They are more likely to succeed.)
ALL politicians will make mistakes, or compromise on something they would prefer NOT to compromise on. Some will vote against a bill - not because of the particular issue, but because of all the attached strings. I don't think that being in the military automatically makes one better qualified to be commander-in-chief. It might give one an edge regarding on-going strategy of remaining in a conflict, but might limit ones views on how to get OUT of one or AVOID the next.

Obama has excited people - McCain has not.
Even the big money republicans who have the most to gain by a McCain victory, are reluctant to donate as much money to his campaign. Basically - Republican Bigwigs decided early on that McCain was a risky investment. If he can't win support from his own people, how can he negotiate successfully with Congress or foriegn governments for support of his ideas. Obama has proven the ability to convince people to believe he can & will succeed. This is an ability you can't teach a person. He can learn the details and methods as he goes. McCain cannot learn to be persuasive, no matter how experienced he might be at the details.

In short - I believe that Obama will listen more open-mindedly to a wider range of opinions, and make choices that will benefit a wider cross-section of Americans. I believe he has a vision of how America & Americans can be better, stronger, respected that is more closely in tune with my own. Although I admire McCains personal strength and loyalty to his country, he has not convinced me that he has a vision that drives him.

People who have a "Vision" can see what the end result should be. They might not know yet how to get there, but given a chance, they are more likely to figure it out. They are more likely to persuade others to cooperate with them in figuring it out.

I believe that I (and most people I know - average Americans) will be better off with Obama as President. Four years from now I might change my mind, but today - I'm voting for Obama.

If you believe in McCain, by all means -and with my blessing - vote FOR him.
But this "voting against somebody" idea is counter-productive.

No comments: