Thursday, September 27, 2007

This just Poppled into my mind (NO, that’s NOT a typo)

Actually it’s a thought I’ve had off and on for a number of years now – about developing a musical religious program (using mostly all secular popular radio songs). I already developed a concept regarding mixing secular and praise music into a youth retreat format while acting as the music director for YOW retreats (Youth Outreach Weekend). YOW is no longer, but the concept remains – looking for a new outlet. Sue attended a 2-day retreat for area Youth Ministers which was run by two young men who’s act/program/call-it-what-you-will is known as “Popple”. They sing and play instruments and joke and lead prayer and witness and in general, evangelize – and I missed it. I did get to stop in later at night just to meet them and casually jam for a bit. They seem like real nice guys, and it’s cool to think that their “job” is to travel around the country getting paid to put on retreats/programs of various durations/intensity. Not a bad gig if you can get it. It’s probably good that I didn’t get to see them “in action” ‘cause I’d probably spend way too much time thinking “I could do that” (actually, you reading this is proof that I already have) even though logistics if nothing else would say otherwise. Having a wife & kids and being a wandering minstrel just doesn’t go together very well (damned family values are killing me!). I suppose it would help to for starters actually develop a program (it’s not enough to just have an idea and have an ability) but we have trouble finding the time to attend retreats, never mind develop and run one professionally. But maybe some day I’ll have time to work it all out (of course “that day” will probably be as I lie in my bed, an invalid at the nursing home. I’ll do lots of good thinking then!). Sue could be the MC and primary speaker and I would be her support/fill-in-the –gaps/offer-a-different-voice-perspective/music person (I know –it’s hard to imagine us in those roles but I think we could pull it off convincingly). Whether a real possibility or just a pipe-dream, it’s fun to envision it. And of course, we’d need a catchy name for ourselves.
(no Margo, not Both Dakota's)

1 comment:

margmor said...

You're in luck! I'm still at work on my list of band names and I have two new ones:
Nuclear Spider
and
Toxic Poo

I really like Toxic Poo. As a band name, that is. You're welcome to it.