Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Dividing Line


25 years ago today was the last day we would be single people. I was 28-1/2 years old and Sue was 20-1/2. Needless to say, stepping from that lifestyle into the “Married” life is a big change at any age. I recall that leading up to the proposal was rather nerve-wracking, but the night before the wedding I was nonchalant. She was an amazing and intriguing, wonderful person, who I (along with everyone else in the world) loved. Of course I assumed we would have a long lifetime of grand adventures – that went without saying, so it probably did.

“well I know it’s kind’a strange but every time I’m near you I just run out of things to say. I hope you understand. Every time I tried to tell you, the words just came out wrong, so I’ll have to say I love you in a song” (Jim Croce)

Early on couples are still figuring each other out, learning all of the quirks and foibles – fatal flaws and quaint eccentricities – that the other had managed to successfully suppress during the courtship period. Some of us worry too much about things that aren’t that big an issue, while some of us don’t place enough concern over things we really should attend to more seriously. Are we always this way or is there a point in time where we say to ourselves “I need to fix this”? And which one of us gets to determine who is over-reacting and who is not responding enough?

I am still nonchalant about a lot of marriage stuff, but is it actually that the whole experience has left me peacefully content, or that I am still selfishly oblivious and taking things for granted? I am not yet at the dividing line where I have spent more of my life married than not – I won’t get there for another three years. Once my “married” longevity exceeds the length of my “bachelorhood” will I start to see the error of my ways, finally give in to reality and “get it right”? Does it take that long for the wife to finally break the hubby’s old "bachelor habits"? Does it take that long for me to finally firmly grip that it really IS all my fault? Unfortunately for her, she crossed the dividing line five years ago. Is she doomed to suffer another three years waiting for me to join her in the same stage of life? I just hope and pray that she will put up with me long enough for me to find out the answer. It goes without saying that it has been 25 amazing years of grand adventures and wedded bliss (maybe not so much so for her! – sorry, I’m stealing HER line here) but my biggest baddest fatal flaw is still allowing it to go unsaid.

“every time the time is right all the words just come out wrong, so I’ll have to say I love you in a song”

Happy 25th Anniversary Eve, baby – I Love You.
We've been together since way back when
Sometimes I never want to see you again
But I want you to know After all these years
You're still the one I want whisperin' in my ear
You're still the one I want to talk to in bed
Still the one That turns my head
We're still having fun And you're still the one
Changing, our love is going gold
Even though we grow old, it grows new
You're still the one That I love to touch
Still the one And I can't get enough
We're still having fun And you're still the one
(Orleans)

No comments: