Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Still trying - at least THIS time I passed

So I answered the Craigslist ad - Classic Rock singer/guitarist needed for South Shore band. I went to jam/audition with three guys trying to put a band together. They were "guitar (lead/rhythm), bass and drums with strong backup vocals who just need to find someone who can sing & play lots of 60's-70's rock". I do get to say I passed their audition with flying colors. Sadly, they didn't pass my audition. Nice guys, for sure - with a nice well equiped practice set-up.
Strong backing vocals? Not even close.
Instrumentally polished? My kitchen floor is more polished than their musical presentation (and you've seen my kichen floor!).
The guitar player was the closest to competent, vocally and instrumentally - someone who under the right circumastances I could possibly work with.
The drummer was uninspired and not exactly a human metronome, and didn't sing at all (maybe he was simply the smartest of the three) - you could envision getting by with him with plenty of practice and a strong surrounding band.
The bass player was rough (to put it nicely) on his instrument, and although he was obliviously bad as a lead singer he was clueless at harmonies - he was an enthusiastic singer though.
They loved the songs that I played, while their proposed playlist was boring and lame - but certainly plenty of standards that everyone would recognize and would take me no time to learn. The final nail in the coffin was when they asked if I could sing "House of the rising sun" (but give me credit - I sang as much as I could remember). If I was going to find a group to be virtually my backup band, I would actually want them to be a bit better than me. I am not great by any measure, so if I were to be head-and-shoulders the best in the band, that band is doomed.

Did I mention they were real nice guys? If we randomly met at a house party and just decided to jam for the heck of it with no expectations, it would have been a lot of fun (and this post would sound much more positive and enthusiastic).

It is extremely difficult to put a band together (or fit into an existing one) at this age and time.
When we were teenagers we hung out with friends who together learned to play music. Because we were friends (a group) first (without music) with common backgrounds, tastes, experiences, we were eager to push each other to become better, because there was comraderie and mutual benefit to this joint effort. We had all the time in the world to hang out - playing together and letting things simply evolve (or not - if it didn't pan out, we were still going to be friends). Now as adults, there is no pre-established bond, there are tight time constrictions, and everybody assembled expects the others to be of comparable skill. We don't count on being close friends outside of the band, time is of the essence, and it's a business. It's got to happen fast and be good, and if not we cut our losses and move on. We are much more judgemental towards each other.

I think I still want to play in a band. Playing music with other musicians is still enticing. The logistics of putting a band together and getting it onto a stage in a paying gig are daunting. When I'm not pursuing it, I wish I was. When I am, I question my sanity (and I'm probably not the only one).

No comments: