Thursday, March 05, 2009

OCRVTHS

Normally, I would be stressing over whether I should get rid of the truck and pick up a new used vehicle or keep sinking money into repairs. But now Jamie is at OCRVTHS (Old Colony Regional Vocation & Technical High School) learning the automotive trade and the cost of repair work has dropped dramatically. Today he will be working on replacing a broken leaf spring hanger, U-joint for the 4x4 drive, a heat controller, a purge pump & solenoid - and if he has time, will repack the wheel bearings. He will spend about 5-6 hours working on these items. A local garage charges $50 or more per hour (that would be $250-$300 for labor - plus parts which they also mark up). Here, I buy my own parts (if I know what I need) at retail list (which is more than the garages pay, but less than they charge for it), or the school can order the necessary parts.

So - bottom line - I paid about $150 for parts and will have to pay the school a $3 administrative fee, and maybe a bit for miscellaneous bolts or clamps, saving probably $50-$70 on the parts & the afore-mentioned labor charges. At this rate, I can happily keep my old pickup chugging along (and the car, and the van) and avoid the cost, stress and uncertainty of picking up a new junkbox (lets face it - a new car is out of the question for a while).

I need to remember to say thanks to Jamie - so far the only child to earn his keep while still in high school.

Maybe I'll have to convince Nikki to go there & take up plumbing, and Joe to become an electrician. Sure, they may do better with a degree from Brown, but I'd do better if they take up a trade!!!

No comments: