Monday, March 16, 2009

So much for DIY saving money

Mary & Matt dropped off our new computer system, which used to be owned by Matt's previous company - so it is a top-of-the-line tricked out gaming computer powerhouse (just for a reference point, the graphics card alone is worth around $300 new), 1-year old, 20" flat screen monitor, keyboard, mouse & all cords/wires. Because nothing is ever as easy as it seems, when I set it all up, I discovered that the cord to commect the CPU & the monitor was missing. I am by no means a computer expert, but I do know that you need a VGA cable here. - but maybe there is something I don't know about this and maybe there is some other type of cable that should be used in this situation. So I called Mary and she confirmed (and apologized) that one cable got left behind at her apartment in Billerica. She offered to mail it down, but we both knew that Suzie wasn't gonna wait 3 days to play with her new toy, so I figured I would just run out and but a new cable (how much could it cost?). So with a quick list of other needed items, I headed to Walmart under the theory that they have everything. Well they don't - no VGA cables. Oh well - Radio Shack would have one, and they did have a very expensive gold tipped "replacement VGA cable". Of course, when I got home and opened the package, I discovered that it had two "male" ends instead of the expected "1-male end, 1-female end" version that I thought was industry standard. So I called Staples to verify if they had what I needed (before wasting valuable time & gas) and they answered that they indeed did. When I picked it up, I questioned the clerk because the package said "for 17" or smaller monitors" and ours is 20" - but he assured me it should work, the disclaimer only means it works better with the smaller screens. It was half the price of the radio Shack cord and time was getting tight, so I headed home with it. The Female end with the Male connector screws attached to the monitor, and the Male end with the Female connectors lined up with the Female port with the....... ?what?...... why does this computer port have Female connectors lining up with the Female connectors on the cord???? That's not right! Damn! So now I've spent 1 1/2 hours and $35 and I STILL can't connect the computer & monitor. And now we have to run off to the Play. On the way we call Mary to say we'll drive up to Billerica after the play - if she will be around - and get her voicemail - and she doesn't call back - for four hours (apparently she has a life!). Eventually, desparately, Sue gets ahold of her and works out a plan to meet her in Waltham - 50 minutes away and half a gas tank ($$cha-ching$$) - to eat at Uno's ($$cha-ching$$) - and get the cable - which by the way looks NOTHING like a normal VGA cable!!!!!!

PS: we DID have a nice visit & meal! and now the computer works wonderfully well.

2 comments:

Her Harlequin said...

and of course I was able to return the purchased cables and get the money back, so mostly it just cost me time & gas - and I learned (maybe, we'll see) that I should listen to Sue when she says "we should look up the specs online to make sure we get the right one"

margmor said...

HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO LOOK UP THE SPECS ONLINE IF YOUR MONITOR DOESN'T WORK?????? (yeah I know you have another computer, just wanted to yell that)