Monday, May 04, 2009

Jesse Manibusen


Most musicians never achieve "fame", and spend a great deal of time learning and performing the songs of "famous" musicians. Except in very rare cases, on very rare occasions, do we ever even get to meet someone who's songs we might play. I got my chance on Sunday to rub elbows with one of the most internationally famous current musicians of his genre - Christian Praise & Worship musician Jesse Manibusen. One of the first Catholic Retreat songs I ever learned to play/sing was Jesse's "Open My Eyes, Lord" which is still a staple "modern praise" song world wide. I saw him once, as he performed at Jim & Paula's wedding two years ago, but I didn't get to actually meet him. But this past weekend, by a twist of Divine Intervention, he was coincidentally scheduled to be in the neighborhood on precisely the same weekend as Jim & Paula's baby was being baptized. (Jesse and Jim have been close friends for many years. The spare bedroom at Jim & Paula's home had been dubbed "the Jesse Room" as he always stayed there when his travels brought him to the Boston area. Now, as the "Jesse Room" has been converted to "Liam's Nursery" of course Jesse agreed - probably insisted - to perform at the Baptismal Mass. I hope someday Liam, you can grasp the magnitude of the honor of having this world renowned evangelist eagerly fitting your baptism into his busy itinerary - 1 hour after finishing a retreat and hours before flying to Spain.) Jesse played guitar (a beautiful Taylor) and sang all the various hymns (some written by him, some by others) and Mass parts oh so effortlessly and beautifully as only a full fledged and gifted professional can do (and as much as Jim tells me that Jesse is not the only musician in the room who can do that, while I appreciate his compliment, I know the truth). So this time, I made certain that after the Mass ended, I approached Jesse and introduced myself and offered my respects. Then my son Corey, aware of who Jesse was, spotted me with him and joined in the conversation. Corey - an Northeastern University sophmore - is trying to assist the "Brotherhood of Hope" to develop a vibrant campus ministry program at NU and wanted to know if Jesse would be interested in coming to the campus and giving a talk/concert. Of course, this IS what Jesse does for a living, and he enthusiastically advised Corey how to go about setting something up. Needless to say, as good Christians are naturally able to do, Jesse touched many peoples lives in a short two hour period. Jim & Paula were honored with his friendship, Liam was honored by his service, I was honored by hearing stunningly beautiful music direct from it's creative source, and Corey was honored to get encouragement in his efforts at being a part of a ministry. All in a days work for Jesse Manibusen - pray he never tires of his vocation.

No comments: