Sunday, May 03, 2009

Making a Waterfall

The idea of having a waterfall as part of our garden water-feature has been on the wish list for a number of years. This spring, when we discovered that the pond pump that runs the little pond fountain was kaput, we figured while we had to replace it, we might as well get a bigger one that would be able to run a waterfall. SO off to Lowes we went. $60 for the pump, $20 for the 3/4" diameter hose, and lots of free stone & cinder block from a demolished out-building at Camp Kiwanee later, and it was time to start building. Generally with a project of this sort, I start with a general concept of who it will work and what the finished result will look like. Then I simply start. As I work, I survey the individual stones etc.. and wing it, following my artistic instincts. Stones get placed and replaced and rotated and repositioned until they look right. Usually, I find a combination I like and end up with a result I am happy with. In this case, the result was very pleasing and worked great. Now this morning we discovered the pond only half full - which means either the pond is leaking (I fixed a leak in it last year, which might have re-opened) or the new waterfall is (also a likely possibility). So we refill the pond, but do not turn on the waterfall while we go out for the day. If the pond is low when we return, I know I need to drain and fix it. If not, I will disassemble the waterfall and redesign it - which I don't mind as it is a fun job to create (or re-create) an artistic and functioning structure.

1 comment:

Her Harlequin said...

OK - the pond held water all day, so I guess I will be doing some redesigning and rebuilding - but that's alright 'cause I found a couple of cool pieces of stone to try incorporating!