Wednesday, October 15, 2008

After 25 years, you would think no more surprises

But of course you would be wrong. No - not the marriage (not for this post anyway) - I've been refereeing hockey for close to the amount of time we've been married (actually maybe longer - I'm not sure anymore). So far after a month of games, it has been fairly calm and uneventful. The only noteworthy (barely) instances have been tossing a Bantam coach from a game - for protesting too loud and too long over a "NON-Icing" call, and a new unexpected twist - the first time I ever had a parent from the stands demand a time-out and cause his team a penalty (and I thought I had already seen it all - silly me).
So it's during a Peewee game (everyone is about 13 years old), it's halfway through the game and as I'm about to drop a faceoff, the league director calls me to the rink gate. The blue team's goalies father is insisting we stop the game so his daughter - the goalie - can change masks. He claims the one she's wearing doesn't fit right and is hurting her. I suggest that in 5 minutes the period will end and there will be a short timeout. At this the father's anger level starts rising and warns me that this is not an acceptable solution. I advise the director and the father that the only other option is to call a "Delay of Game" penalty on the blue team and change the mask, but of course I should really skate over and let the blue teams coach know what is going on. So I skate across to the players bench, where the blue teams coach askes "what's the problem?". I explain the mask situation, and he asks "can't we wait until the end of the period?". I reply that was my idea, but Dad is insistant, and if the mask is getting switched now - they will have to take the penalty. The coaches look at each other, then the director who has arrived with the new mask, then the goalie, then at each other, shrugged and said "we'll send somebody over to the penalty box". I'm guessing that they had never had a parent force them to take a team penalty. I can't wait to see what else I haven't seen yet!

No comments: