Monday, October 20, 2008

Referees should never 2nd guess themselves


"PeeWee C" games can be interesting because most of the kids are being allowed to check for the first time, and they aren't very good at it yet. They don't know how to give a hit, or take one. It leaves lots of leeway for a referee to decide what call to make (or not) and what level of severity to apply to it. So many times just this weekend I could have been choosing between "Charging" (aka taking a run at a player), "Boarding" (hitting an opponent violently into the boards), "Checking From Behind" (considered the most dangerous offense of all), or "Late/Avoidable Check" (self-explanatory) - if only the checker had actually hit the checkee instead of plastering himself into the boards when the intended victim sidestepped him, or he simply missed his intended victim (I say "him/he" because although girls do indeed play at this level, they are rarely so blatently out to kill). So when I witnessed what should be considered a check from behind, I blew the whistle, signaled the offender to the penalty box, and proceeded to skate in that direction. One trick a referee has at his disposal is to wait until he reaches the penalty box area before announcing the actual penalty being called - giving him the opportunity to mull over the options and pick the best one without committimg too early to a regretable call. So on my way I decided it was really mostly a shove, not a meanspirited check, and although no physical harm done it was worthy of a penalty so to send a message. I decided a 1-1/2 minute minor "Boarding" call would be sufficient, instead of issueing the 1-1/2 minute minor plus 10 minute misconduct required for a "Check From Behind" call. The Coach started arguing with me (in itself worthy of a penalty) as soon as I got within talking distance, but I was in a good enough mood so I explained that they were getting off easy because my first inclination was to call the "Check from behind" so therefore they were catching a break. Now clearly I didn't realize I was dealing with a very smart coach, who explained to me that the check wasn't hard enough to qualify as "violently into the boards". Now I've been wrong before as a referee (thinking I had made a mistake when i actually hadn't) and this clearly was another instance when I was proved to be wrong. Therefore I told the coach that I was willing to grant his wish and NOT call the penalty a 1-1/2 minute Boarding. I would revert to the proper call for the infraction - a 1-1/2 minute minor plus 10 minute misconduct for the Check From Behind (which also requires a second player to go into the box - someone has to come out when the other kid's first minor penalty expires but his misconduct starts). There - I'm happy - I finally got the call right for the type of hit delivered.
(I'm not sure the coach has yet figured out what hit HIM yet, tho')
(shame I wasn't in a bad mood - I would have given the coach a Bench Minor penalty to top it all off, but he had already made my day and probably a few more to come, and that would have just been plain vindictive on my part and I am supposed to remain calm & professional throughout all)

1 comment:

The Ohio 5 said...

You are just too clever for your own good.